A delicious and mouthwatering slow cooker oatmeal recipe that is packed with mixed berries and a little hint of brown sugar. A great breakfast to start the day with!
Every since I was a little girl, I have always loved oatmeal. I loved just plain oatmeal, chocolate oatmeal, fruit mixed in and instant oatmeal packets.
You know what I am talking about here – the instant oatmeal packets! They are quick and easy, but not the tastiest or the freshest kind of oatmeal out there.
Ever since I tried making my own from old-fashioned oats, I have been in love. They are just as easy, and guess what? They are even easier on the wallet too.
Today, I am going to share you my favorite way to cook my oatmeal – long and slow in the slow cooker/crock-pot. I always add in the berries when I am adding the oats and water. It always seems to make the oatmeal really flavorful. In other words, amazing!
You will need to have old-fashioned oats for this recipe. I haven’t tried the instant oats before in the slow cooker. I am pretty sure it would need less time to cook. Just not sure.
I like to add the brown sugar after it has finished cooking, just my personal preference. You can always add it when you add everything in. Wouldn’t hurt a thing. I forgot to mention you will add need vanilla extract and frozen mixed berries.
I love the berries from Trader Joe’s. You cannot beat the quality and price – amazing!
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mixed berries
- 2 tablespoons ight brown sugar (optional)
- Place all of the ingredients in your slow cooker and stir until well combined. You can either add the brown sugar at this top or when it is done.
- Cook overnight for 8 hours on low or on high for 4 hours. When the oatmeal has finished, stir it with a fork to loosen up the oats some.
- Serve with additional berries on top. (optional)