An incredibly easy and flavorful slow cooker cajun-style chicken soup recipe! Can be made creamy, as well!
I cannot believe January is almost gone. I was just about to say, where has 2015 gone already? Did you enjoy the holidays? We did and I am so glad we are eating a little bit healthier! I think I overdid it with all of the delicious baked goodies and treats.
I will have to say, we have been enjoying our soups lately. They always seem lighter and are incredible easy to make. Just the other day I really had a taste for cajun food and I didn’t know exactly what I wanted. I thought a delicious cajun-style soup would be great on a day where it was chilly. Would have been delicious today, as well – snowing as I am writing this.
I will have to warn you, this soup is a little spicy. If you aren’t a fan of spice, you can always omit the cayenne and crushed red pepper flakes. If you would rather stick to soups that are not spicy at all, I would recommend the slow cooker lentil soup and the crock pot italian sausage soup. Both are great! If you are in the mind for a yummy pureed vegetable soup, you can try an acorn and butternut squash soup and a delicious cauliflower roasted red pepper soup on my other recipe blog.
I think you can now see how in love with soups I have been lately. With this cajun-style chicken soup, you can easily make it creamy or not creamy at all. The very first day we didn’t have it creamy, then the next day I added a little bit of milk to the soup.
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- /4 teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 and ½ cups milk (optional, to make it creamy*
- In a 5-quart or larger slow cooker, add in the chicken, chicken stock, spices, diced bell peppers, and onion. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken in the slow cooker.
- *If you want to make it creamy, add the milk at the same time you add the other ingredients.