A delicious crock pot scalloped potatoes recipe that will make your life so easy! Goodbye boxed mixes!
I have always loved scalloped potatoes because they are an ultimate comfort food for me. They always have a delicious cheesy sauce that is coating the potatoes. Why’s not to love?
Just a couple of weeks ago was the first time I made scalloped potatoes in the crock pot/slow cooker. At first I didn’t know how they would turn out, but they turned out amazing. I am never going back to the oven or even boxed scalloped potato mixes.
If you have never made these before in the crock pot/slow cooker before, you are definitely missing out and most probably need to make them soon! Trust me. They are just that good.
Before making this delicious recipe, you will want to make sure that you have a mandoline or something similar on hand. It really makes it easier to slice the potatoes. If you do not have one on hand, do not worry, you can still slice them – just thinly sliced.
You also want to spray your crock pot/slow cooker down really well. I just used non-stick cooking spray – I use it for everything!
Before you even slice your potatoes, you will want to make your cheese sauce – butter, flour, salt, pepper, and shredded cheese. Feel free to use any kind of shredded cheese you have on hand, I used cheddar.
You can cook your scalloped potatoes on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 and ½ cups milk
- 1 and ½ cups shredded cheese, I used cheddar
- 7-8 medium potatoes, sliced into thin slices
- Add butter, salt, and pepper in a medium pot cooking on medium-heat. Once the butter has melted, whisk in the flour until there are no clumps. Gradually add in the milk, whisking over medium-heat until the sauce has thickened and become bubbly. Add 1 cup of shredded cheese and whisk until the cheese has melted.
- Spray your 5-quart or larger slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Layer half of the sliced potatoes evenly on the bottom. Pour half of the cheese sauce over the potatoes. Repeat with remaining potatoes and cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese on top of the layers. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.